Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dad's Great Green Chili - (From Eating For Life Cookbook)

Dad's Great Green Chili -Eating for Life by Bill Phillips


  • 8 Cups fat free, reduced sodium chicken broth

  • 1 Onion, finely chopped

  • 8 Portions chicken breast (about 2 pounds- I used 3 large bone in breasts and that was plenty)

  • 2 Packages Roasted Chicken Gravy Mix

  • 5 cans (4 oz. each) mild diced green chiles- original recipe calls for 3-7oz. cans I can only find 4 oz and just used 5 cans + a little more

  • 6 Cloves Garlic minced

  • 1/2 Cup fresh cilantro - I used much less Bill has recently decided that he doesn't like cilantro so I just used a few sprigs - but it was great!!

  • 1/2 Teaspoon ground cumin

  • 2 Jalapenos, seeded and chopped (wear gloves if you can and don't rub those eyes) - It really doesn't make it too hot - both kids loved it.

  • 1 Can (28 ounces) white hominy, drained - I couldn't find that size can so got two small ones and used 1.5 cans. I think putting both would have been fine.

  • 8 (6inch) flour tortillas

  • 1 Tomato, diced

  • 1/2 cup fat free sour cream



  • In a large pot, combine chicken broth, onion and chicken breasts. Heat to boiling over high heat. Then reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from the broth and set aside to cool.

  • Use whisk to blend gravy mix into the broth. Then add chiles, garlic, cilantro, cumin, jalapenos and hominy. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then reduce heat to low.

  • Shred the cooked chicken by pulling it apart with two forks, and add it back into the broth. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.

  • Warm flour tortillas by placing them between two damp paper towels and microwaving on high for 45 seconds.

  • Spoon a portion of the green chili (about 1 1/2 cups) into each bowl, top with a spoonful of diced tomato and a tablespoon of sour cream.

  • Fold a warmed tortilla, and place it beside the bowl of chili for dipping.


This stuff is great even without the toppings. This is a healthy meal.

2 comments:

Wanting What I Have said...

ok, your new header ROCKS! And this soup sounds sooooo good! So glad you shared! :)

j. D. Rorer said...

I've been making this recipe for 20, since I was in the Bill Phillip's challenge, however I decided to add various white beans, yummy it's delicious. I think all chili should have beans! Every batch I make is a little different caring on what I can find. Thanks for you guide lines, its terrific with a few cans of beans!